Sailing Success for Ed (Year 10 Student)
2018 has been a successful year for Ed!
In October 2018 Ed was selected for the RYA (Royal Yachting Association) UK Junior Squad - Topper Boys –following qualification and selection which involved attending 2 out of 3 qualifier events and the National Championships. The top 24 boys (across the country) were selected for the boys squad. The 24 boys were further divided into 3 training groups - Ed is in T1 the performance (top) training group.
His achievements this year include:
· 1 of 3 winners; Musto Junior Rider Competition
· 2nd boy in the Eric Twiname Championships, Rutland
· 15th at the National Championship in Weymouth
· 25th at the Worlds in China (although declared not a championship as the minimum requirement of 4 qualification races were not completed - due to torrential rain and no wind!).
· 3rd at the first National Series race of the new season in September
· Regional Champion - In September Ed won the British Youth Sailing South and South West Regional Junior Championships at Weymouth
· Runner Up South West Traveller Series
Ed's next goals are to train through the winter, compete in the National Series, go to the World Championships in the Netherlands and the National Championships in Largs next summer. His next boat is the Laser 4.7/Radial; transitioning is underway into this larger and more challenging boat with less sailors qualifying for squads.
Ed is proud of his success and believes that sailing has given him the opportunity to meet new people and he loves the challenge of competition!