Skip to content ↓

Archway School

Northern Game Comes South

Although the rugby season had finished before Christmas for most, there was a perfect opportunity to restart it in the form of rugby league. 


With expert coaching from the Gloucestershire All Golds, a professional team run by the University of Gloucestershire, Friday afternoons saw 30+ year 7, 9 and 10 students stay behind after school. This was all leading up to the 1908 county tournament where the sun was basking, set for some running rugby. The year 10 team, including a number of year 9s, were drawn in a tough group with Tewkesbury, Dene Magna and St Peter's, with the latter having got to the quarter finals of the National Schools rugby league competition. The 1st game saw the year 10 caught off guard in defence on a number of occasions, letting Tewkesbury gain the win. The 2nd game against Dene Magna was another step up in terms of opposition and performance from Archway. Physicality in defence and attack marked an improvement but it wasn't to be enough against a strong Dene Magna side. The final match in the pool was against the favourites for the whole competition, St Peter's. This proved to be an even bigger step up but Archway didn't shirk away at the prospect and put in a very good display, however it wasn't enough. A final match against Tewkesbury however Archway avenged their earlier defeat, with some great tries shown.

     The year 7 team enjoyed greater success on the day. It was uncertain how they would take to rugby league but it didn’t seem to be an issue. A strong group which involved Churchdown, Chosen Hill, Bartholemew and All Saints Academy meant the boys had to work hard. Their first game they dispatched Chosen Hill with a brilliant display of physicality and skill. This momentum continued into their 2nd game against Churchdown, sneaking the win and putting Archway on course for the top spot. A lapse in performance though saw the year 7 team let in some silly tries against All Saints Academy meaning their fate was still unknown. A final win left the team unsure who was going through, who topped the group and whether it meant and early bus home. Going through on points, Churchdown topped the group meaning Archway were 2nd. This meant Archway faced the winner of the other pool, hot favourites St Peter's. The boys rose to the challenge admirably and put pride in their performance but it proved not enough. St Peter's quality shone through, with them going on to win and win the overall year 7 tournament. All in all, it was a great day out for students and staff with some excellent rugby on show.